Sangamon County Sales Tax
Two questions are to be answered . The sales tax will help ALL of the 16 schools in Sangamon County. This is the proposal for a 1% sales tax.
Here are details:
- The sales tax will NOT be applied to:
prescription drugs or OTC drugs
farm equipment and inputs.
- The money can ONLY be used for school facility upgrades, buildings and/or paying down bond debt (which means districts could slow down our property tax increases ). The money cannot be used for salaries or programs.
- PPCUSD8 could receive approximately $900,000 annually for facilities
- The revenue will fund the renovations and expansions at the high school
- Phase 1 high school renovations begin in 2011 (regardless of the Sales Tax outcome)
- Additional revenue will be used to retire existing debt and update current facilities
There are two questions on the ballot regarding the referendum:
- The first asks to approve the 1%.
- The second question asks: If the first question passes, should the County Board consider other needs of the county prior to implementing the 1% tax.
- This question has caused controversy as the County Board already has the right to implement the full 1% or a portion of it. The way the question is worded sounds as if the County Board could take part of the 1% and apply it to such things as the police, etc. The County Board cannot do so.
For further information regarding the 1% Sales Tax please visit A Better Way to Fund